Being energetic is absolutely important during your training, and her we will not talk about wasting it in the workplace. We will list how energy is difused before you reach the workplace.
At home: This can be done through:
- Not sleeping enough,
- Speaking too much at home,
- Watching TV too much,
- Thinking a lot about problems, instead of trying to solve them,
- Talking a lot on the phone,
- Arguing too much with family members or partners,
- Doing other people’s work at home,
- Taking care of their family ALONE.
In the workplace:
Throughout my personal experiences in several companies, I have been noticing that people waste their energy through doing things that they are not aware of their impact on their stock of energy.
They absolutely do not activate the ‘energy counter’ to see how much they have of it. We all agree that, before we start any activity, we need to know if our energy allows us to do it. If this fact is ignored, we will definitely see people who do not think of safeguarding their energy making one of these mistakes:
- Talking too much either to other employees or over the phone,
- Laughing too much,
- Focusing on many tasks and completing none,
- Doing what has nothing to do with the job (See chapter Eight: Using The Work Place For Another Job),
- Doing nothing when there is no job to do.
Several people just keep laughing all the time, and sometimes loudly, which diffuses their energy and makes them victims of a sudden headache. The result is asking their boss for permission to leave early. This absolutely affects their image. When someone undergoes this experience, the employer is likely to have one of the following ideas on his mind:
- The employee is just faking it,
- How can they laugh all the time, and then say they have a headache?
- They do not want to work, that is why they waste all the time laughing, and then request to leave earlier,
- The trainee makes too much noise to deliver a hidden message,
- The trainee neither works nor lets his colleagues work,
- This is how the trainee behaves when dealing with customers!
- The company is paying employees to work, not to laugh and leave earlier than assigned.
The list is so long, and it is not on the side of the trainee. Laws allow people to leave when they are really sick or cannot work the whole day. Yet, laws strictly prevent trainees from making noise. By doing that trainees, as well as employees, do not work, and do not let others work. The worst is that they leave their work to others to do it for them, after bothering them all the time.
Doing nothing when there is nothing to do is also harmful. When doing nothing, mind flies through the work place windows to the air. People start thinking of the time when they leave the office, and just wait for the clock to reach it. They actually start ‘boiling’ inside. Waiting consumes much energy. The best thing to do, when there is nothing to do, is to find something to do.
In such a case, we can either:
- Revise what was done on previous days,
- Offer help to busy people,
- Reread our emails to remember all the info we got,
- Learn something new,
- Make a plan for the following day,
- Create a task to do,
- Contact the customers who fall in the customer retention rate,
- Read from this website…(Elsewhere!)
Outside our homes and away from work we tend to do other activities. Of course, these activities, during which we spend time and money to get positive energy, have a direct impact on our work performance. As new trainees, we need to pay much more attention to what we do when our work day is over, especially when we are away from where we live. Some activities absolutely have to be avoided, especially when they become habits and addictions.
Over Exercising is not good for anybody. Sport is one of the very good things… we all know its benefits. Yet, when this activity is done excessively, it might be harmful. The worst part is that it might prevent us from :
- Being ready for work,
- Sitting correctly on the chair,
- Taking a break and benefit from it,
- Meeting customers with a body that hurts and a pale face,
- Smiling at work,
- Concentrating well,
- Moving easily,
- Finishing all the tasks before the end of the day.
Travels at nights should also be avoided.
Staying up late, especially outside, is not a good thing to do. You need to sleep as early as possible to be able to perform your daily tasks at ease.
Working an extra job, undoubtedly, will affect your performance in your current training. No matter how energetic you are, no matter how strong you are, if you perform another job, chances are high that you do not get to your current training at full energy.
“What provides us with energy at work?” is a question that a few people ask themselves. We have to raise the same question. The workplace is not just a place where all our energy is needed. It is also a place that we can get energy from. Some activities really recharge our batteries and make us happy. We have to detect them all.